Radio stations playing a combination of diverse kinds of electronica and black music.
Urban and electronica – The Lefto / Gilles style
- [Listen] Le Mellotron plays a combination of electronic music (both midtempo and uptempo), urban tracks, and from time to time something exotic. The playlist is Lefto/Gilles Peterson related. Sometimes there’s a show broadcast. Heritage: France.
- [Listen] Ness Radio plays electronic music, urban and exotic stuff. This is (musicwise) a Lefto/Gilles Peterson related station too. There are similarities between this station, Le Mellotron and Worldwide FM, but in the non-stop hours there’s less uptempo/housey stuff in the musical mix. Besides non-stop music there are also lots of shows broadcast. Heritage: Morocco.
- [Listen] RadioSoundSystem seems an amateur station, but that’s quite vague. Their own description: “alternative hip-hop – new soul – nu jazz – future beats – electronic & beyond”. Heritage: Belgium (Brussels).
- [Listen] Tarmac Chillin’ is a division of Tarmac, an internetradio organisation specialized in urban. This sub stream plays relaxed hip hop and combinations of hip hop and electronica (or: ‘beat scene’ stuff). There are some similarities with RadioSoundSystem, and many of the tracks could also be played in Lefto’s show. But in general, those on Tarmac Chillin’ seem somewhat more catchy. Heritage: Belgium (Wallonia).
- [Listen] Worldwide FM is a Gilles Peterson creation. The station plays exotic music, jazzy stuff, beats, soulful hip hop and more. Soundwise it’s somewhat similar to Le Mellotron, but on Worldwide FM there are a lot more shows. Heritage: UK.
Urban and electronica – Slightly different
- [Listen] Bruzz (at night) –> During office hours (Central European Time) this station sounds totally different; nearly mainstream. Anyway: Bruzz is a local station from Brussels. After 7 or 8 o’clock, depending on the day of the week, you’ll hear many musical styles. These are played in lots of genre shows, but often it will be black music or electronica. Heritage: Belgium. But despite coming from Brussels, the language is Dutch; French is more common there.
- [Listen] Pedro Basement Broadcast, the station of Laurent Garnier. He plays his favorite tracks, in many styles. But most of them sound, in one way or another, urban or electronic. Heritage: France.
- [Listen] Size Radio is a tasteful and relaxed sounding station, playing a mix of black music and electronica; a good option to play at the background when being busy. Their website also mentions ‘rock’, but in reality you won’t hear that a lot. Heritage: France.