Hybrids (can be on the soulful/funky side)
…or general black music. Related: the stations at the bottom of this pop page.
- [Stream] Blue-In-Green:Radio plays soul, funk, jazz, r&b and more. There are podcasts and shows, and every Sunday it’s 90s time (all day long, from 5pm UK time on). Heritage: The UK.
- [Stream] Comala Radio plays soul, hip hop, house, funk, disco, Brazilian music, African music, etcetera. There are shows broadcast (no clear schedule though). Heritage: France.
- [Stream] Djam Radio mainly plays black and relaxed types of music (and sometimes exotic sounds). Most of the tracks are quite old. On the website there’s the possibility to vote for the tracks. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] FIP is the main station within the FIP family. This station presents a mix of pop, funk, jazz, blues, soul, exotic music, hip hop, electronica, and even classical music. Nearly every song matches perfectly the previous one. In between the songs you’ll hear the characteristic subtle presentation, often brought by beautiful sweet female voices. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] FIP Groove is the funky part of the FIP family. Within that musical frame there’s a lot of variety going on, though. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] FIP Nouveautés is one of the sub streams of FIP. This station is basically similar to the ‘regular’ FIP (musicwise), but there’s a big difference: You’ll only hear music released the last couple of years. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] International Rare Groove takes you on a trip around the world (“soul, funk, afrobeat, roots/reggae, classic hip-hop, disco, latin and world music”). These go-getters were originally small amateur broadcasters. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] Le GriGri is a station playing jazz, jazzy influenced hip hop, soul, traditional music, etcetera – but it’s mainly jazz leaning. One of the main people behind the station is the man who also created Le Mellotron. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] LifeGate Radio plays calm kinds of pop and rock music + slightly exotic tunes. Most music is not that recent. Heritage: Italy.
- [Stream] MondoBongo Radio is a slightly more powerful and more poppy alternative to (the regular version of) FIP, although there’s not much recent music played. It’s an eclectic mix consisting of pop, rock, electronic music, exotic music, hip hop, jazz and soulful stuff. Heritage: Greece.
- [Stream] Nova La Nuit, part of the Nova family, plays an eclectic and friendly mix of music. The station is entirely non-stop. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] Pinguin Pluche is the relaxed stream of the Pinguin Radio family. The station plays soft pop/rock, soul and exotic music, and also plays frequently songs in the Dutch language. Despite those songs, the general feel is reminiscent of many of those typical eclectic stations from French speaking areas. Heritage: The Netherlands.
- [Stream] Radio Béguin plays black music (can be hip hop, can also be something exotic) and electronica. The underlying tone is quite dreamy. It’s an amateur station btw, but quite up-to-date. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] Soundstorm Relax Radio plays a wide range of styles, as long as the song sounds relaxed. It can be ambient, downtempo, house, exotic music, indie, pop, rock, soundtrack music, or something else. The general feel is soft and harks back to the Y2K era – when Ibiza cds were sold like hot cakes. Heritage: Austria.
- [Stream] Start FM is linked to the University of Vilnius (Lithuania). The station presents a combination of shows (about society, the university, their region, etcetera) and non-stop hours. In Europe, those non-stop hours are broadcast in the morning, early afternoon and deep in the night. The station sounds like the soft part of the playlist of djs like Lefto and stations like Ness Radio: soulful music, subtle electronica, etcetera. Many of the tracks are quite recent, and there’s also a well-maintained Spotify list.
Relaxed hip hop & related music
- [Stream] Beatminerz Radio is the official station of the hip hop production duo Da Beatminerz, DJ Evil Dee and Mr. Walt. Beatminerz Radio mostly plays (relatively subtle) hip hop and r&b, but you’ll also hear old funk and soul. Heritage: The USA.
- [Stream] Gone Up Radio is a – predominantly – hip hop station leaning to the funky/jazzy side of the genre. The atmosphere is relaxed. And despite playing frequently recent tracks, the amount of autotune stays within limits. Note: The regular stream url isn’t playable with some internet radios, like those from Imperial, and can also cause problems in Winamp. But there is an alternative. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] M2 Hip-Hop plays non-stop old hip hop; mostly on the more refined side of the genre. Many of the tracks have jazzy and/or funky influences. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] Say Say plays soulful hip hop, but also funk and soul. There are shows broadcast; a morning show included. There’s something ambitious about this project. Heritage: Germany.
Relaxed guitar sounds