Varied pop stations. Suggestions (this site is searching for ‘hit stations’ with an unique touch): Twitter or email@example.com.
General, very mainstream
- [Stream] Hotmix Radio New plays recent releases. The track choices are very mainstream, and you can expect (because of its heritage) some French stuff from time to time.
- [Stream] Pidi Radio focusses on the gay scene and broadcasts many shows (a gay chart included). Musicwise it’s mostly general mainstream pop and dance music. Heritage: The Netherlands.
General, partly (more or less) mainstream
- [Stream] BBC Radio 6 Music plays mainly pop and rock, and from time to time black or electronic music; both (good) mainstream and less mainstream stuff. Some tracks are decades old, other tracks are brand new. There’s much – and often useful – presentation. Heritage: UK.
- [Stream] RTS Couleur3, a public station with a slight alternative edge, plays pop, rock, black music and electronic stuff. Many of the tracks on the playlist are quite recent, and there’s a complete program schedule. Recommended: Astrolab, playing the same kind of music as Lefto, Mr. Leenknecht, etcetera. Nice: You can download nearly every show on the website. Heritage: Switzerland.
- [Stream] Studio Brussel, often called ‘StuBru’, plays varied music: old and new, and a mix of mainstream and slightly alternative tunes. These are brought by many presenters, and about 50% of the dj staff is female. Heritage: Belgium (and this station is one of the public radio stations there). Note: lots of Dutch spoken talk.
General, more alternative than those above
- [Stream] Amazing Radio is strictly dedicated to new releases, mostly pop and rock, which can be uploaded to Amazing Media. You won’t hear the latest Top 40 hits here (possibly there are songs you’ll hear on a mainstream station 6 months later). The station has got a complete schedule and sounds professional; slightly similar to BBC 6 Music. Heritage: Ireland/UK.
- [Stream] FluxForward, one of the FluxFM streams, plays the newest tracks within the alternative scene. Fitting the heritage of the station, there’s quite much German stuff among the tracks.
- [Stream] KEXP is a listener supported station playing an eclectic mix of alternative music, although much of it is guitar based. There are both variety and specialty shows, brought by a team of +40 passionated djs. The long preroll starting after tuning in can be a little bit off-putting. Heritage: The USA (Seattle).
- [Stream] KLFM plays an eclectic and tasteful combination of songs. It can be rock music, and it can also be subtle electronica or urban. There are lots of shows broadcast (visit the beautiful & original looking website). Hopefully you don’t mind the language; the station comes from Croatia. The playlist sounds quite international, though.
- [Stream] La Radio De Mai, linked to a local concert hall, sounds varied and somewhat alternative. Heritage: France (Clermont-Ferrand).
- [Stream] Radar 97.8 is another slightly alternative station. There’s enough variety going on, but many of the tracks are guitar based. Heritage: Portugal (Lisbon).
Quite danceable (but still poppy)
- [Stream] 1Live Fiehe is the weekly show of the famous German dj Klaus Fiehe. He plays for about 80 % music released in the last couple of years, and for about 20 % older ones. Often it’s electronic music, but you can also expect rock. At least the choices aren’t that mainstream. This stream plays the show in a loop.
- [Stream] Mint FM plays a combination of commercial dance, urban and danceable pop; both old and new tracks. There’s a huge amount of (genre) shows, ranging from 80s specials to dj mixes. Heritage: France.
Slightly more exotic
Related to the stations below: the top part (‘hybrids’) of this page.
- [Stream] Alternative Radio is an amateur station playing a mix of many kinds of guitar music and black music. The station is entirely non-stop. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] Nova plays lots of styles, ranging from exotic music to somewhat alternative pop. The music is both old and new, not extremely mainstream but also not that obscure. It a kind of a middle grond between BBC 6Music and FIP. There’s also much presentation (and, sadly, lots of commercials). Heritage: France.
- [Stream] Radio Ellebore also plays many types of alternative music. In this case, quite much of it is electronic or black music (a lot more than the station above). But you’ll hear also pop and rock music. There are many shows broadcast, and you can listen them back on the website. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] Radio Poko Pokito is a station playing many genres, but most of it is soft alternative music. At their website they describe themselves as a “traveler of a whole world-view pushing you to the boundaries of fictional to believe in it and thus live a few moments in its imaginary world”. The station is entirely non-stop. Heritage: Greece.