Varied pop stations. Suggestions (this site is searching for ‘hit stations’ with an unique touch): Twitter or email@example.com.
General pop, partly (more or less) mainstream
- [Stream] BBC Radio 6 Music plays mainly pop and rock, and from time to time black or electronic music; both (good) mainstream and less mainstream stuff. Some tracks are decades old, other tracks are brand new. There’s much – and often useful – presentation. Heritage: UK.
- [Stream] Hotmix Radio New plays recent releases. The track choices are very mainstream, and you can expect (because of its heritage) some French stuff from time to time.
- [Stream] RTS Couleur3 plays (semi)-alternative pop and rock, black music and electronic stuff. Many of the tracks on the playlist are quite recent, and there’s a complete program schedule. Recommended: Astrolab, playing the same kind of music as Lefto, Mr. Leenknecht, etcetera. Nice: You can download nearly every show on the website. Heritage: Switzerland.
- [Stream] Studio Brussel, often called ‘StuBru’, plays varied music: old and new, and a mix of mainstream and slightly alternative tunes. These are brought by many presenters, and about 50% of the dj staff is female. Heritage: Belgium (and this station is one of the public radio stations there). Note: lots of Dutch spoken talk.
General pop, more alternative
- [Stream] Amazing Radio is strictly dedicated to new releases, mostly pop and rock, which can be uploaded to Amazing Media. You won’t hear the latest Top 40 hits here (possibly there are songs you’ll hear on a mainstream station 6 months later). The station has got a complete schedule and sounds professional; slightly similar to BBC 6 Music. Heritage: Ireland/UK.
- [Stream] FluxForward, one of the FluxFM streams, plays the newest tracks within the alternative scene. Fitting the heritage of the station, there’s quite much German stuff among the tracks.
- [Stream] Hicemusic plays alternative music in the broadest sense of the word: rock, urban, electronic music – everything. Their playlist is quite surprising. It’s a – very serious – amateur project, and the station is linked to a well maintened music blog. Heritage: Germany.
- [Stream] La Radio De Mai, linked to a local concert hall, sounds somewhat alternative. The station is similar to Hicemusic, although there’s less electronic stuff played. Heritage: France (Clermont-Ferrand).
- [Stream] Radar 97.8 is another slightly alternative station. There’s enough variety going on, but many of the tracks are guitar based. Heritage: Portugal (Lisbon).
- [Stream] Schalltwerk – a production of the Bayreuth University – plays a combination of slightly alternatieve tunes within guitar based, electronic ánd urban genres. From time to time you’ll hear a (semi) big name, but a huge part of the playlist isn’t that well-known. It’s still accessible music, though. There are similarities with La Radio De Mai and Hicemusic. Heritage: Germany.
More danceable (but still poppy)
- [Stream] 1Live Fiehe is the weekly show of the famous German dj Klaus Fiehe. He plays for about 80 % music released in the last couple of years, and for about 20 % older ones. Often it’s electronic music, but you can also expect rock. At least the choices aren’t that mainstream. This stream plays the show in a loop.
- [Stream] Mint FM plays a combination of commercial dance, urban and danceable pop; both old and new tracks. There’s a huge amount of (genre) shows, ranging from 80s specials to dj mixes. Heritage: France.
Slightly more exotic
Related to the stations below: the top part (‘hybrids’) of this page.
- [Stream] Alternative Radio is an amateur station playing a mix of many kinds of guitar music and black music. The station is entirely non-stop. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] MondoBongo Radio is a slightly more powerful and more poppy alternative to (the regular version of) FIP. It’s an eclectic mix, entirely non-stop, and consisting of pop, rock, electronic music, exotic music, hip hop, jazz and soulful stuff. Heritage: Greece.
- [Stream] Radio Efímera plays an eclectic mix of alternative music. You’ll hear frequently something sung in the Spanish language. Heritage: Mexico.
- [Stream] Radio Ellebore also plays many types of alternative music. In this case, quite much of it is electronic or black music (a lot more than the station above). But you’ll hear also pop and rock music. There are many shows broadcast, and you can listen them back on the website. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] Nova plays lots of styles, ranging from exotic music to somewhat alternative pop. The music is both old and new, not extremely mainstream but also not that obscure. It a kind of a middle grond between BBC 6Music and FIP. There’s also much presentation. Heritage: France.