Soulful and/or funky music (btw: most stations are also mentioned on other pages). Suggestions: Twitter or email@example.com.
New + old, general
- [Stream] Blue-In-Green:Radio plays soul, funk, jazz, r&b and more. There are podcasts and shows, and every Sunday it’s 90s time (all day long, from 5pm UK time on). Heritage: The UK.
- [Stream] Djam Radio mainly plays black and relaxed types of music (and sometimes exotic sounds). On the website there’s the possibility to vote for the tracks. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] FIP Groove is the funky part of the FIP family. Within that musical frame there’s a lot of variety going on, though. Heritage: France.
- [Stream] Mi-Soul Radio, a London based station, plays soul music + tracks related to it (it can also be house music). This station has got a complete schedule, filled with a huge list of djs.
- [Stream] Shake!FM, a blog/radio combination and originally a hobby project, plays funk, soul and genres rooted in these styles (also dance tracks); both well-known and less-known tracks. There are also shows broadcast. Heritage: Germany.
New + old, on the jazzy side
- [Stream] Le GriGri is a station playing jazz, jazzy influenced hip hop, soul, traditional music, etcetera – but it’s mainly jazz leaning. One of the main people behind the station is the man who also created Le Mellotron. Heritage: France.
New + old, on the exotic side
- [Stream] Comala Radio plays soul, hip hop, house, funk, disco, Brazilian music, African music, etcetera. There are shows broadcast (no clear schedule though). Heritage: France.
- [Stream] International Rare Groove takes you on a trip around the world (“soul, funk, afrobeat, roots/reggae, classic hip-hop, disco, latin and world music”). These go-getters were originally small amateur broadcasters. Heritage: France.
New + old, leaning towards hip hop
- [Stream] Beatminerz Radio is the official station of the hip hop production duo Da Beatminerz, DJ Evil Dee and Mr. Walt. Beatminerz Radio mostly plays (relatively subtle) hip hop and r&b. But you’ll also hear old funk, soul and sometimes even funky or bluesy pop or rock songs. Heritage: The USA.
- [Stream] Say Say plays soulful hip hop, but also funk and soul. There are shows broadcast; a morning show included. There’s something ambitious about this project. Heritage: Germany.
New + old, combined with electronica
- [Stream] Ness Radio is a station in the vein of Lefto, Gilles Peterson, etcetera. There’s frequently funk or soul played, but also subtle electronica. Besides non-stop music there are also lots of shows broadcast. Heritage: Morocco.
- [Stream] Rádio Oxigénio plays soul, funk, jazz, electronica and hip hop. There are many shows broadcast. Heritage: Portugal.
- [Stream] Start FM is linked to the University of Vilnius (Lithuania). The station presents a combination of shows (about society, the university, their region, etcetera) and non-stop hours. In Europe, those non-stop hours are broadcast in the morning, early afternoon and deep in the night. The station sounds like the soft part of the playlist of djs like Lefto and stations like Ness Radio: soulful music, subtle electronica, etcetera. Many of the tracks are quite recent, and there’s also a well-maintained Spotify list.
- [Stream] BMC Radio plays non-stop funk, disco, soul and r&b from +/- 1975 till 2000; although the station is mainly focussing on the first ten years of this era. Fun fact: The main people behind the station met each other around 1980 already. Heritage: The Netherlands.
- [Stream] WeFunk is a station playing hip hop, funk, soul and related styles. The stream consists of old shows (the oldest ones have been recorded in the early 00s) and sometimes a recent one. The WeFunk show is part of the college station CKut. Heritage: Canada.